Distribution and Abundance of Juvenile Salmonids off Oregon and Washington, 1981-1985

Pearch, William G. and Fisher, Joseph P. (1990) Distribution and Abundance of Juvenile Salmonids off Oregon and Washington, 1981-1985. NOAA/National Marine Fisheries Service, (NOAA Technical Report NMFS, 93)

[img]
Preview
PDF (The document's language is English .) - Requires a PDF viewer such as GSview, Xpdf or Adobe Acrobat Reader
Download (28Mb) | Preview
Official URL: http://spo.nwr.noaa.gov/tr93.pdf

Abstract

This report is a summary of the results of 883 purse seine sets made for juvenile salmonids during 15 cruises off the coasts of Oregon and Washington during the springs and summers of 1981-1985. Juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) occurred most frequently, followed by chinook salmon (0. tshawytscha). The juveniles of these two species co-occurred more frequently than expected. Juvenile chum, pink and sockeye salmon (0. keta, O. gorbuscha, and O. nerka), steelhead (0. mykiss) and cutthroat trout (0. clarki clarki) were caught much less frequently and in lower numbers than coho or chinook salmon. We found no evidence of large schools ofjuvenile salmonids. A northerly movement of juvenile coho salmon wa~ suggested by decreased catches off Oregon and increased catches off Washington between early and late summer. Highest catch per set of juvenile coho salmon was usually found inshore of 37.2 km. Juvenile chinook salmon were usually found within 27.9 km of the coast. Juvenile salmonids were found over a broad range of surface salinities and temperatures. High catches of juvenile coho salmon occurred in both the low salinity waters of the Columbia River plume and in adjacent higher salinity waters. Preferences for specific salinities or temperatures were not obvious for any species, although catch rates of juvenile coho salmon were highest in years when chlorophyll content was also high. Based on expansions of fish with coded wire tags, we estimated that hatchery coho salmon smolts comprised 74%, on average, of the juvenile coho salmon catches. The remaining 26% were presumably wild fish or hatchery fish released as fingerlings. Hatchery coho salmon were caught roughly in proportion to the numbers released. However, hatchery fish from the Columbia River and private coastal facilities were caught at slightly higher rates while those from coastal Washington and public coastal Oregon hatcheries were caught at slightly lower rates than expected from the numbers released. No juvenile coho salmon with coded wire tags were caught that had originated from either California or Puget Sound hatcheries. (PDF file contains 88 pages.)

Item Type: Monograph or Serial Issue
Title: Distribution and Abundance of Juvenile Salmonids off Oregon and Washington, 1981-1985
Personal Creator/Author:
CreatorsEmail
Pearch, William G.
Fisher, Joseph P.
Series Name: NOAA Technical Report NMFS
Number: 93
Date: 1990
Publisher: NOAA/National Marine Fisheries Service
Issuing Agency: United States National Marine Fisheries Service
Subjects: Ecology
Management
Fisheries
Item ID: 2722
Depositing User: Patti M. Marraro
Date Deposited: 31 Oct 2009 02:04
Last Modified: 29 Sep 2011 18:32
URI: http://aquaticcommons.org/id/eprint/2722

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

Document Downloads

More statistics for this item...