Theroux, Roger B. (1988) Foreword and Acknowledgments: Woods Hole Laboratory Centennial. Marine Fisheries Review, 50(4), pp. 3-12.
The year 1985 was one of celebration for the Woods Hole Laboratory of the National Marine Fisheries Service's Northeast Fisheries Center. The reason was the one hundredth anniversary of the completion and occupation of the first facility in the world dedicated to marine fisheries research. Spencer Fullerton Baird, Assistant Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, and newly appointed first Commissioner of the nascent U.S. Commission of Fish and Fisheries visited Woods Hole in the summer of 1871 to establish a base from which to begin the investigations mandated by Congress when they established the "Fish Commission." During the following three summers (1872-74), operations were conducted from several other localities along the New England coast. During the course of those four years Baird determined that Woods Hole offered the most suitable natural and physical amenities for the investigations being conducted by the Fish Commission at that time, and for those envisioned for the future. The base for Commission operations was returned to Woods Hole in the summer of 1875 and has remained there ever since, through times fair and foul and several agency changes.
|Item Type: ||Article|
|Title: ||Foreword and Acknowledgments: Woods Hole Laboratory Centennial|
|Personal Creator/Author: |
|Theroux, Roger B.|
|Journal or Publication Title: ||Marine Fisheries Review|
|Page Range: ||pp. 3-12|
|Issuing Agency: ||United States National Marine Fisheries Service|
|Item ID: ||9958|
|Depositing User: ||Patti M. Marraro|
|Date Deposited: ||28 Aug 2012 19:28|
|Last Modified: ||28 Aug 2012 19:28|
Actions (login required)